Australian leg of lamb with rice (tarek style)
1 Australian Leg of Lamb
5 White Onions
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 Head of Garlic
2 Bay Leaves
10 Black Peppercorns
4 cups Lamb Stock
4 Potatoes, peeled & cut in cubes (soaked in water)
3 Sweet Potatoes, peeled & cut in cubes (soaked in water)
2 cups Basmati Rice (soaked in water)
2 tbsp Turmeric
2 tbsp Butter (salted)
Salt, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- In a large hot pot, add oil, the leg of lamb and fry until golden brown.
- Next, add to the pot the onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, garlic, peppercorns, bay leaves, stock and brown sugar.
- Cover and place in a preheated oven for about 6 hours, until lamb is tender.
- To make the rice, in a smaller pot, add butter followed by onions and rice. Add boiling water and salt and stir gently; then cover tightly and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the lamb from the oven, cover and rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- Place lamb in a serving dish with the rice and vegetables and drizzle with the lamb juice.
- Serve and enjoy!