Barbecued butterflied lamb leg with herb mayonnaise
1.5 kg Leg of lamb, boned and butterflied
1 tbps Fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1 tbps Olive oil
1 tbps Dijon mustard
A selection of raw and blanched seasonal vegetables
0.5 cup Whole egg style mayonnaise
Fresh chives, dill, parsley or coriander, chopped lemon juice
- Preheat the barbecue flat-plate or char-grill plate to hot. Score the inside of the butterflied lamb leg in a criss-cross fashion. Combine rosemary, oil and mustard and smear over both sides of lamb.
- Place the lamb on the barbecue, reduce heat to moderately-hot. Cook the first side of the lamb for 20 minutes, turn and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove lamb cover loosely with foil, and rest lamb for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve the lamb with vegetables and the Herb mayonnaise.
- To make Herb mayonnaise: Combine mayonnaise with freshly chopped herbs and squeeze of lemon juice.
- Ask you butcher to bone and butterfly the leg of lamb, for you.
- Always rest meat after cooking. This gives the juices in the meat a chance to redistribute, giving a moister and more tender result. Transfer the meat to a plate and loosely cover with foil, stand the meat to rest in a warm place.