Beef skewers with honey and soy
600 g beef sirloin
4 green shallots, ends trimmed and cut into 3cm lengths
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp soy sauce
0.66 cup bottled peanut sauce, warmed
carrot and cucumber ribbons to serve
- Cut the beef into long thin strips. Soak 8 bamboo skewers in cold water.
- Thread the beef onto the skewers alternating with the shallot. Warm the honey in the microwave on Low setting for 30 seconds, or use a small saucepan and stir in the soy sauce. Brush honey and soy over the beef skewers.
- Preheat the barbecue char-grill plate, grill or pan to hot before adding the beef skewers. Let the beef skewers cook on one side until moisture appears before you turn. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the heat and cover loosely with foil to rest skewers for 2 minutes before serving. Serve with the warm peanut sauce, carrot and cucumber ribbons (make cucumber and carrot ribbons using a vegetable peeler to slice lengthways along each).
- The barbecue char-grill plate, grill or pan needs to be heated until it is hot before adding the beef skewers. It should be hot enough so that the skewers sizzle when they touch the pan.
- Best beef cuts for char-grilling: fillet/tenderloin, rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, T-bone, rump, round and blade, oyster blade, silverside and topside steaks.