Beef spring rolls
250 g beef mince
50 g bean thread noodles
1 medium carrot, grated coarsely
1 tbsp grated ginger
4 spring onions, finely chopped
2 tsp light soy sauce
20 spring roll pastry sheets (20cm square)
Extra soy sauce to serve
- Place noodles in large bowl. Cover with boiling water and stand for 10 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine beef, noodles, carrot, ginger, spring onions and soy.
- Moisten edges of spring roll wrappers and place on board in a diamond shape with one corner facing you.
- Place 25g beef mixture on edge of spring roll wrapper. Roll up tightly, folding ends in to form a rectangular roll approx. 12cm long.
- Place oil in large deep pan to a depth of approx. 3cm. Heat over moderately high heat. Test as described below before frying.
- Fry spring rolls a few at a time for 6 8 minutes, turning once, until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Serve immediately with small bowl of soy sauce for dipping.
- Recipe note: For best results test oil with a small piece of bread before frying spring rolls. The bread should sizzle immediately and begin to brown within one minute.
- Serve with light soy sauce.