Braised lamb shanks with pearl couscous, peas and mint
4 Lamb shanks
2 Onions, sliced
3cups Chicken stock
1 cup Pearl coucous*
1 cup Frozen peas, rinsed
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
¼ cup Mint leaves, chopped
Dressed baby kale leaves, to serve
*Pearl couscous are small, round pasta balls, much bigger than regular couscous. It is available from supermarkets or delicatessens.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place a large, heavy based casserole over a moderately high heat. Brush the shanks with olive oil and cook for 8 minutes or until coloured all over.
- Transfer the shanks to a plate and add the onions to the casserole. Cook for 2 minutes or until coloured then add the shanks back in with the stock. Bring up to the boil, cover and place in the oven for 2 ¼ hours or until very tender.
- Add the couscous, making sure it is all immersed in the liquid. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, adding the peas for the last few minutes.
- Stir in the lemon zest and mint. Season with salt and pepper and add lemon juice to taste. Serve with a side dish of dressed baby kale leaves.
- For a gluten free option you could substitute the couscous with cooked beans or lentils.
- For a savoury hit, try sprinkling the cooked couscous with some grated pecorino or parmesan cheese.