Goat, tomato and olive pies with roast Garlic skordalia
2 pounds Australian goatmeat forequarter, diced
4 teaspoons flour
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
20 shallots, peeled
3 cups button mushrooms, cut into halves
1 8 - ounce can peeled tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
salt and p epper to taste
1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
12 Kalamata olives, seeded
shortcrust & puff pastry sheets
Roast Garlic Skordalia:
4 large waxy potatoes, peeled and diced
4 heads of garlic, cloves peeled
juice of 1 lemon
½ cup extra virgin oliveoil
salt and pepper to taste
- Roll the meat in flour and sear in 4 teaspoons of the oil over high heat. Remove from the pan.
- Place the remaining oil in a saucepan and soften the chopped onion and shallots. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5 minutes, before adding the tomatoes, thyme, salt and pepper, seared meat and Cabernet Sauvignon. Cover and cook 45 minutes. Add the olives in the final 5 minutes of cooking. Set aside to cool.
- To make the pastry, roll out short crust pastr y sheets to line the bases of 2 ½" x 5" pie tins. Fill with the cooled goat mixture and top with lids cut from puff pastry sheets. Knock - up the pastry around the edges of the pies and then flute the crust at intervals. Cut a few slits in the pastry and gla ze with egg wash. Decorate if desired. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes at 400ºF.
- For the Roast Garlic Skordalia: Preheat the oven to 300°F. Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain. Roast the garlic cloves in the oven approximately 40 minutes.
- Place p otatoes, garlic, and lemon in a food processor and combine. With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil and process until smooth. Season to taste.
For the Pie: