Gourmet sausage sandwich with mushrooms and onion jam
3 thick beef sausages
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
200 g mixed mushrooms, sliced
2 pieces of Turkish bread, halved horizontally and toasted
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, sliced
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp water
- Preheat the barbecue, grill or pan and either barbecue, grill or pan-fry the sausages over a moderate heat until browned and cooked.
- While the sausages are cooking heat the oil in a frypan and add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook over a moderately-high heat until mushrooms are golden.
- To serve slice the sausages half lengthways. Place the bottom slices of toasted Turkish bread onto 2 plates. Top with some rocket leaves, three halves of sausage, and the mushrooms. Finish with a spoonful of onion jam and the top slice of toasted bread.
- To make onion jam: Heat a small frypan and add the oil. Stir in the onion and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sweet chilli sauce and the water. Cook over a low heat for another 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Don't pierce sausages before or during cooking. If you prick good quality sausages you let all the moisture and the flavour out.
- Cook sausages slowly over a moderate heat. If you cook them too fast over a higher heat the skins may burst. Cooking them slowly and turning them regularly helps them brown well all over.
- Simmering sausages in water before barbecuing them will keep them moist and helps them cook right through on the high heat of the barbecue, (this is a good tip for fatter style sausages).