Grilled steak with corn and cucumber salad
4 beef sirloin steaks
420 g can corn kernels, drained
2 Lebanese cucumbers, sliced
1 avocado, peeled and cut into large pieces
3 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
half a cos lettuce, washed and roughly chopped
bottled salad dressing
steamed or boiled potatoes to serve
- Brush each steak lightly with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the grill tray. Preheat the oven grill to high/maximum setting.
- Place the steaks on the cold grill tray, place tray under the hot grill. Cook steaks on one side until the first sign of moisture appears on the top. Turn and cook further until done to your preference. Turn once only.
- Remove steaks from grill tray, loosely cover with foil and rest steaks for 2 minutes before serving.
- Combine corn, cucumber, avocado, coriander and lettuce in a large bowl and toss with your favourite dressing or simply with lemon juice and olive oil. Serve the steak with the salad and potatoes on the side.
- You can also barbecue the steaks for this recipe, use either the char-grill plate or flat-plate. The steaks can also be pan-fried.
- Best beef cuts for grilling and char-grilling: fillet/tenderloin, rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, T-bone, rump, round and blade, oyster blade.