Lamb and onion dumplings with black vinegar dipping sauce
500 g Mince
300 ml water or stock
pinch white pepper
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 small onion diced small
0.33 cup vegetable oil
8 cups You can buy flour special for making Jiaozi from Chinese supermarkets)
pinch baking powder (this will help make the dough nice and light)
470 ml water
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp black vinegar
pinch chilli flakes (optional)
- To make filling; In a large bowl mix the lamb with the water/stock and set aside while you chop the onions.
- Next add salt, white pepper and combine. Then mix in soy sauce, onions and oil.
- Combine all ingredients well and please note that the mixture needs to be quite soft in consistency. Cover and set aside in fridge.
- For the dough, pour the flour into a large bowl and add a pinch of salt and baking powder, then mix.
- Add the water in and gradually incorporating it into the flour. Once the dough has formed a ball place it onto a floured surface and knead for 10 mins. Be careful not to tear the dough as you're kneading it, that breaks the strands of gluten that are formed as you knead.
- After the dough has been kneaded into a silky texture, roll the dough with your fingers like a Playdo snake; the outside should be smooth with no cracks. You want the diameter of the snake to be the same as a 20 cent coin.
- Once you have your dough snake, cut the dough snake into pieces about 1.5cm long. Then flatten each round piece with your palm and use a rolling pin to roll out small pastry discs about 1.5 mm thick. Don't worry if your pastry isn't perfectly round.
- Next add a small amount of the lamb filing to the center and seal the outsides. Try not to trap air inside and make sure all the edges are sealed. Place on a floured tray until ready to cook. Repeat until all dough and filling is used.
- To cook dumplings place a pan on medium to high heat. Once hot add 1tbs of vegetable oil and place dumplings in pan to fry. When dumplings are golden and not sticking to pan anymore turn over and add half a cup of water to the hot pan and cover with a lid. The steam and heat of the pan will cook the dumplings all the way through and also keeps them nice and crispy.
- Mix all ingredients for the dipping sauce together and serve dumplings hot!
- Dumplings 500g lamb mince pinch of salt 300ml water/stock pinch of white pepper 2 tbs soy sauce 1 medium onion small dice 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Dough 8 cups of “00” flour (You can buy flour special for making Jiaozi from Chinese supermarkets) pinch of salt pinch of baking powder (this will help make the dough nice and light) 470ml water
- Dipping sauce 2 tbs of soy sauce 1 tbs black vinegar pinch of chili flakes (optional)