- Home page
- Looking for Aussome recipes?
- Raise a roast
- Roast beef with horseradish Yorkshire puddings
Roast beef with horseradish Yorkshire puddings
1.5 kg piece rib eye/scotch fillet
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
roast potatoes, steamed vegetables to serve
Horseradish Yorkshire puddings
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
1.75 cups milk
3 tbsp creamed horseradish
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Brush beef lightly with oil and brown on all sides in a frypan. Season beef with salt and pepper. Smear the mustard over the beef.
- Place beef on a rack in a roasting dish. Roast for 45 minutes for rare, 60 minutes for medium and 75 minutes for well done. For ease and accuracy use a meat thermometer.
- Remove beef, cover loosely with foil, and rest beef for 20 minutes before carving. While beef is resting cook the Yorkshire puddings. To serve slice the beef into thin slices and serve with the Yorkshire puddings.
- To make Horseradish Yorkshire puddings; While the beef is cooking make the Yorkshire pudding batter. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and beat in the milk, horseradish and eggs until smooth. To cook puddings, spoon the oil into 12 non-stick 1/2 cup muffin holes.
- Place the muffin pan in the oven to heat for 5 minutes. Take muffin pans out of the oven and pour in the batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed up and cooked.
- Serve with roast potatoes, steamed vegetables and gravy.
- Suggested roasting times per 500g for: Rib eye/scotch fillet, rump, sirloin, fillet/tenderloin, standing rib roast, rolled rib beef roast. Cook at 200ºC. Rare 15-20 min per 500g, Medium 20-25 min per 500g, Well done 25-30 min per 500g.
- Judging your roast's degree of doneness using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature for: Rare 55-60ºC, Medium rare 60-65ºC, Medium 65-70ºC, Medium well 70-75ºC, Well done 75ºC.
- You can also use tongs to test the roast's doneness. Gently prod or squeeze the roast rare is very soft, medium rare is soft, medium is springy but soft, medium well is firm and well done is very firm.