Spicy black bean and smoked paprika braised chuck
600g Chuck steak, diced
1 Onion, sliced
2 Bay leaves
3 tsp Smoked paprika
1/2 tsp Dried chilli flakes
4 cloves Garlic, chopped
2 cups Beef stock
400g tin Diced tomatoes
400g tin Black beans, drained
Soft tortillas, tomato salsa, coriander leaves and sour cream (optional), to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Place a casserole over a medium high heat. Mix the beef with some olive oil and fry in batches for 6 minutes or until coloured. Place all of the meat back in the pan and add the onion, bay leaves, smoked paprika, chilli flakes and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and tomatoes and bring up to the boil. Cover, and place in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add the black beans and cook, covered, for a further 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with soft tortillas, tomato salsa, coriander leaves and sour cream (optional).
- For a less spicy version, try ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes or simply omit them.
- Tinned black beans are often found in the Mexican food section of your supermarket, rather than with the other tinned beans.