- Home page
- Looking for Aussome recipes?
- Easy peasy recipes
- Unbelievably easy savoury mince
Unbelievably easy savoury mince
500 g beef mince
2 tsp oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, diced
1 small wedge cabbage, chopped
0.5 cup corn kernels
0.5 cup frozen peas
1 tbps soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
0.75 cup water or beef stock
2 tsp cornflour
100 g pkt pre-cooked crunchy noodles (optional)
steamed rice to serve
- Place beef mince in a bowl and mix in a little oil. Heat a large frypan or a wok, ensure it is hot. Crumble in half of the mince. Cook stirring often until mince is being to brown. Remove the first batch, reheat the frypan and cook the remaining mince and then remove.
- Reheat the frypan, add the oil, heat oil and add the onion and carrot. Cook stirring once or twice for 1 minute. Add the cabbage, cook for a further minute.
- Add the corn and peas to the frypan. Return the mince to the frypan, cook for 1 minute. Push the mince mixture out to the side. Pour in the combined soy sauce, oyster sauce, water and cornflour, stir as it comes to the boil. Stir to mix the sauce with the mince mixture. Add the noodles if using, stir to combine. Spoon the mince into a serving bowl. Serve with steamed rice.
- Rissoles, burgers and meatballs should always be thoroughly cooked. They should not be served rare or pink. A good guide is to insert a skewer into the thickest part; if it is ready to eat the juices will be clear.
- Freezer standby…rissoles to the ready Freeze uncooked rissoles in a shallow, rigid container. Defrost overnight in the fridge. Pat rissoles lightly with paper towel brush or spray them with a little oil and cook as directed.
- Buying and storing mince Refer to use-by-dates on packaged mince and use well within that time. Loose mince purchased from the butcher is best used within 1 to 2 days of buying it.
- Mince can be frozen for 2-3 months Lay it out flat to freeze, it will then defrost evenly and quickly.
- Thaw frozen mince in the fridge, or in the microwave Thaw it on the lowest shelf in the fridge, below and or away from any ready to eat food. If you thaw mince in the microwave it must be cooked right away.