Vietnamese goat soup (pho)
8 cup Chicken Stock
1 Onion (quartered)
3 Star anise
1 stick Cinnamon
4 Thick slices ginger
1 kg Goat neck (trimmed excess fat)
1 tbsp Fish sauce
1 tsp Lime juice
200 g Vericelli Noodles
1 cup Bean sprouts (trimmed)
1 Long red chilli (sliced)
Coriander leaves (to serve)
Lime wedges (to serve)
- Place the chicken stock in a large saucepan with 2 cups water, onion, star anise, cinnamon, ginger, goat neck and fish sauce.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for an hour.
- After an hour, uncover and refrigerate until cold.
- Once cold, strain the stock through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan. Reserve the goat neck and discard the remaining spices etc.
- Shred the goat meat and set aside.
- Place the stock over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add the lime juice and shredded goat meat.
- Meanwhile, place the noodles in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes until softened. Drain.
- Divide the noodles between serving bowls. Spoon over stock then top with goat meat, bean sprouts, chilli and coriander leaves. Serve with lime wedges.